If you said goodbye to 2013 with a huge sigh of relief, what are you going to do differently in 2014 to ensure it's a better year? Unfortunately, it doesn't just happen....not in my experience anyway. Certain things in life are unavoidable and major blows can often just be life dealing us a bad hand but sometimes, we are the key.
It's time to make some changes people!
In my last post, I said there would be no big resolutions for me this year but despite trying really, really hard, I simply cannot start a new year without flirting with the idea just a little. So here are the top 8 things I'm going to do differently in 2014 (I tried to stick to 5 but cutting out 3 just seemed cruel)....
- Less Waste. I am sure our family isn't the only one who ends up throwing away uneaten food items at the end of a week, but things have gotten out of control here. I have been known to throw away whole packets of salmon as the use by date has come and gone and the salmon still remains untouched at the back of the fridge. I know, I know, please don't make me feel any more guilty than I already do. So what's the answer? Meal planning and being more organised. Oh and recycling in a more orderly fashion is also on my agenda for 2014.
- More Time Outdoors. We have a dog but most of our walks consist of nipping him up to the local field for a 40 minute stroll. Whilst this walk is sometimes a necessity, we have so many beautiful places to explore locally. Having been inspired by Charly Dove over at PODCast this year (she doesn't live too far away from me and has taken some awesome photographs of beautiful local haunts) it's time to put on our wellies and embrace the outdoors.
- Less Booze. Before you hit the panic button, I'm not a closet alcoholic or anything but I do enjoy a glass of wine....most evenings of the week in fact. Not only is this a very expensive habit, it's probably not good for my health. I am intrigued to see how difficult it is, to avoid alcohol for a whole month (told you I love a challenge!) so a small group of us on Twitter have committed to going dry for January and will be supporting each other throughout what is ordinarily a very dull month and now has the potential to be even duller! If you're doing it too, why not tweet me and we can be (not so) Fun Bobbies together :)
Less of this in 2014!
- More Photographs. You *may* have noticed, that photography is a love of mine but sadly not a skill. I take photographs every single day of the week; they are rarely good ones but do capture the spirit of my children and a moment in time that is worth recording. This year I resolve to do better with my photography - go on a course and acquire a proper, digital SLR camera. I have also decided to join in a blogging linky called Project 365, which originates over at The Boy and Me. The idea is to take one photo per day, creating a montage every Saturday and I can't wait to start!
- Less Clutter. As I got our home ready for Christmas this year, I realised just how much clutter we manage to acquire over 365 days. Most of these 'bits and bobs' seem to reside in the understairs cupboard or the loft, reserved for that elusive 'rainy day'. No more! This week the OH made a momentous trip to the local tip and we have decided that this needs to be a quarterly occurrence not an annual one. Obviously if the item is worth giving away on Freecycle, then I will make sure it goes to another home. Either way, this will be my mantra for 2014....
PS This does not apply to people or pets.
- More Adventures. Being in my 43rd year (yes, I know it's hard to believe) I am well aware that the ageing process is working against me. In 2013, I made a concerted effort to join in with the antics of my children and throw caution to the wind. I predict more risk-taking in 2014!
- Less Ironing. As I spent half of New Year's Day, making my way to the bottom of the ironing pile, I made a momentous decision - half of this stuff does not need ironing! Pillowcases? School shirts? Jeans? Let's be honest, by the time the kids have chucked them in the bottom of the drawer, they look worse than they did before the iron had been over them. Why waste the time?
- More Reading. As a blogger, I spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs, especially with my commitment to Friday Favourites. I don't intend to stop doing this but I do plan to read more proper books - ones with pages and everything! First up is one that has been on my bucket list for a while and I'm pleased to say the OH took my (not so) subtle hints, and gave it to me for Christmas - Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown (see no. 6!).
So that's what my 2014 looks like. What are you going to change in 2014?