Being a family of 5, it is often a struggle to find anything that we all enjoy eating, but gammon is one of them. The fact that this particular recipe also requires coca-cola, makes it a winner from the off!
I obtained my slow cooker only a few months ago and so for Christmas, I requested a slow cooker recipe book*. I have tried out a few recipes now but this one is definitely worth sharing - it's cheap, easy to prepare and everyone liked it!
1.25kg boneless smoked gammon joint (it recommends you soak overnight in water but I forgot so just rinsed a few times!)
1 onion (cut into 8 wedges)
2 carrots (thickly sliced)
410g tin of black beans or red kidney beans (I used kidney beans)
2 bay leaves
900 ml coca cola
1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp english mustard
- Put the gammon into the slow cooker (pre-heated)
- Add all the onion wedges and carrots to the pot
- Tip in the drained beans and add the bay leaves
- Pour the cola into a saucepan (I used diet coke, don't think it matters!)
- Add the sugar, tomato puree and mustard. Bring to the boil
- Pour over the gammon and cook on high for 6-7 hours (I cooked on medium for about 8 hours)
The gammon sliced so easily and I used some of the juice and vegetables as a gravy. I served with baked potatoes, brocolli and peas. The OH says I have an incredible knack of ruining a delicious meal by serving it up dinner-lady style so just to prove that he is right, here's how it turned out!
I have to admit to tweeting about it's rather strange aroma whilst cooking but it honestly did taste so much better than it smelled - delicious!
*The recipe book I used was 'Hamlyn's 200 slow cooker recipes'.
Pin It Now!