This week's theme for 'The Gallery' is 'Old'. Tapping it in as the title for this post, felt so wrong - I just couldn't bring myself to do it! Despite knowing immediately which photo I wanted to share with you, I was acutely aware that this wonderful lady is by no means 'old'. Let me introduce you to my Grandmother, who will be celebrating her 90th Birthday next week. Here she is at my cousin's wedding, cradling her newest Great Grandchild, who was only 3 weeks old at the time. I love the way this photo depicts 'old' so beautifully - with almost 90 years between the two subjects (not so keen on the 'emergency exit' sign in the background but please ignore that if possible!)
Before we go any further (or I dig myself a deeper hole!), let me explain something to you. Although in chronological years, my Grandmother would be classed as 'old', in her heart, she is one of the youngest people I know. And here's why:
1) Those beautiful nails you see in the picture? They are the real deal and have been expertly painted by herself. Ever since I have known my Granny, she has been painting her nails.
2) Some of the best parenting advice I have ever received, has been from this lady. She too had 3 children with a similar age gap to mine and she remembers the pitfalls and joys, as though it were only yesterday. The fact that she went on to have a fourth child, 15 years later, is where our similarity ends!
3) For her birthday last year, my Grandad surprised her with an ipad. She loves it and has embraced the new technological age with gusto.
4) She uses this ipad to do her weekly food shopping on-line, enabling them to remain independent.
5) She is an avid follower of my blog, reads it daily and has been known to comment under a pseudonym, which I shan't give away!
6) Nothing annoys her more than when people try to treat her like a doddery old lady.....she is so not one of those!
7) She will be hosting and catering for 20 people at her own 90th birthday next week - she loves a good party does my Granny :)
8) And just to round it off (I hope she won't be cross with me for this!), for the last 12 months she has been going through the cosmetic process of having her teeth whitened. Who says we are to stop caring about our appearance when we reach a certain age?
I am so proud to be able to call this remarkable lady, my Granny. I only hope that a certain amount of her tenacity, faithfulness and kind nature, has rubbed off on me.
Happy 90th Birthday Granny!
I am linking this post up with Tara Cain's 'The Gallery'. Please click on the image below, to view other entries for this week's theme.